Home » Info for Parents » FAQs
Here are eight reasons why your teenager should participate in a Grand Canyon Youth program...
He or she will…
- Learn how to set and achieve new goals.
- Learn how to take healthy risks.
- Learn about the Southwest and its river ecosystems in a fun, hands-on environment.
- Learn personal responsibility by earning part of the trip cost.
- Give back to his/her community through a meaningful service project.
- Work as part of a team with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Gain an appreciation of the natural world.
- Take a break from television, computers, and phones.
We’ve been running experiential river trips for over a decade; our goal is to inspire curiosity in community, self, and place. Read what other parents say about how the GCY experience has changed their son / daughter.
What if I have safety concerns?
GCY has an excellent safety record. We adhere to all industry standards and regulations in the states where we run programs. If you have specific questions please don’t hesitate to contact us. To read more about safety, click here.
Where exactly do you go?
Choose from trips in the Grand Canyon in Arizona, on the San Juan River in southern Utah, or the Gates of Lodore in northern Utah. All trips depart and return to Flagstaff, Arizona; participants are responsible to get here from their hometown. Click here to see a current schedule with links to trip descriptions and maps.
Will I have to buy a bunch of gear for this?
Probably not. Take a look at our equipment list. We provide a sleeping kit that includes sleeping bags, a tarp, sleeping pad, and waterproof bag. You may have to purchase a few small items, but we often have gear available for participants to borrow. Please contact us if you have specific gear needs.